Spring project!


I was supposed to write this blog yesterday, but massive overtime and a long, hard drive of around 500 miles per week have just worn me out and I spent the day recuperating (I.e.- napping, drinking lots of fluids, napping, sitting, not stressing…)

So, today I feel a little more refreshed! We did happen to do this one awesome project yesterday. I’ve been meaning to do it for a while, but the perfect container availed itself yesterday.

1 plastic see-through container with a lid
Marbles, rocks, or cracked terra cotta
Soil (we used some from an old poinsettia we killed after Christmas)
Seeds or succulents

First off, we gathered all our supplies. I found some marbles laying around, so I used them. Not only do they allow for drainage, but they add weight to the bottom to keep it held down.


We placed our soil in about 1/3 of the way up.


We made some room and sprinkled in our seeds, then covered them up.


Next, we watered it well. That potting soil must have been mostly peat, because it took forever to get completely moist.


So we added a lot more water…


Then we snapped the lid on tightly and put it in the sunshine. It steamed up after a while.


Hopefully, we will see sprouts in a week or so. I think someone was pleased with their work!


The great thing about this project is that it not only teaches the life cycle of a seed (we had harvested these seeds over the winter), it also teaches the water cycle! We can now learn about evaporation and precipitation!

I hope all is well with everyone! Have a great Easter. Peace and love, everyone!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s